Friday, September 5, 2008

Monterey Bay Aquarium


On Friday afternoon Will and I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to visit the fishes.  Will is a big fan of the ocean and I like ... well, being with him.  

We started with the jellyfish tank, which the aquarium displays alongside works of art.  The concept is that jellyfish, as works of art, look best alongside works of art.  It was a cool concept, but I preferred to look at the jellyfish rather than the pieces.

But it did make me think about designing aquariums and the artwork and thought that must go into it.

We saw the otter exhibit, which were my favorites -- playful and happy.  Then the penguins, briefly, although I was so spoiled by the penguin exhibit in Tampa aquarium (they were brought out to a meeting area in a red wagon, and walked right up to us -- I nearly got penguin doo doo on me ) that this one was less impressive.

Then we got to watch feeding time in the kelp exhibit, where a diver with a microphone spoke to a roomful of viewers and urged them to check that their seafood is sustainable.  This was probably the best part of the whole thing.  The diver looked so alien but his words were friendly, and the fish were comfortable eating seafood out of his hands.  It was cool.