Friday, November 27, 2009

Hula Dance Choreography

I'm really excited about this idea I have to combine the introduction to the families and wedding party with the grand entrance with the opening dance.  Of course with such a strong performing arts background I'm using my own wedding as a chance to perform.  It's going to be ... totally different.

Luckily I have access to world-class talent.  One of these talented folks is my cousin Ryan, who choreographed the hula for us.  This is for the whole wedding party -- and I'm thinking that Will and I will learn the whole thing; there might be a girls' section and a guys' section; and the whole wedding party will join in on the chorus parts and the last verse.  The real question is what goes into the instrumental part in the middle.

This piece is to Olomana's Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u, a song about leaving hometowns, growing up, returning changed.  It was the piece I also danced to at my high school graduation party.  The difference in choreography shows how much Ry's hula has matured and developed.